Tuesday 8 February 2011

Westonbirt visit...

I went to meet a nice guy called Ben Oliver at Westonbirt Arboretum on the Saturday just gone. 

He was incredibly helpful, as he talked me through all the things that staff have to do to maintain the arboretum, and he also showed me around a few of the areas they have recently been doing work to. 

In short, they do a hell of a lot of work. There are so many different aspects that I didn't even know about. The beginning stages where they plant the seeds in greenhouses the Propagation which can take years and has less than 40% success rate.
At a certain age trees start to minimize their co2 intake, so it is better for the Arboretum and to act against climate change to chop them down and grow new ones. Although this doesn't look good to the public, they are thinking way ahead for future generations. Trees take hundreds of years to grow, so they have to think very carefully and plan their landscape very thoroughly so they have a constant mix of new and old trees.

Tree surgeons are often called in to maintain the the trees. When they are diseased they may need to be chopped down, or if they have grown too big some branches need to be removed to let more light into the area so it is more enjoyable for the public, and so the surrounding trees get the light they need to breathe.

I've emailed Ben saying the kind of things I would like to photograph. I said 

"I am particularly interested in photographing the work done to the trees. From the beginning in the propagation stage, to planting, to the end of their life when they are chopped down by tree surgeons, plus any work that is needed to be done to prevent against diseases. I am also particularly interested in what work is done to combat climate change, and would like to learn more in that area."

I am waiting to hear back as he needs to check with a man called Mark (who runs the tree team and organizes all the health and safety) to make sure it is possible for me to do it, and what dates I can visit.

Although we are arranging dates, Ben did say that the work they do completely varies and depends on the weather, and the type of things that come up so it will not always be possible to plan ahead. He said they could call me a day or two before and let me know the plans for that week, and that way I can work around them.

I'm really looking forward to learning more about trees, and what is done to sustain them. There is a lot of technical information that is involved, and it would be interesting if I could learn more in this aspect. I think it definitely helps to know the subject you shoot.
I have also contacted forests in South Wales and the Forest of Dean so hopefully I will get a response from them, so I can photograph on a grander scaled and different issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment